Followers (I'd love to have you join)

Follow by Email for Crafty Inspiration Updates

Thursday, August 23, 2012

School is Back in Session - Bulletin Boards

Okay, school is back in session, so I wanted to share a few things I made for one of my sons previous teachers.

First is a bulletin board for the birthdays of the children in the class.  I used Create-a-Critter for the candle flame and balloons and I used Storybook for the big letters.  I used regular construction paper and laminated it.  Laminated paper cut wonderfully on the expression.  I used colored laminated copy paper for the various candle colors.


The next bulletin board I did was the Accelerated Reader board.  We are the Sipple Stallions so the teacher thought it would be cute to use little horses for the board.  I cutout the bookmarks from the Animal Kingdom cart and I also used Platian Schoolbook, and Hello Kitty Font.  Again I cut these from laminated construction papers and they held up nicely the entire school year.  -- Opps, don't have a picture of this one.


Now for my favorite project.  This was so fun to make.  It is a homework reward board.  The teacher found the idea on-line and she just wanted me to copy it and then color it – I HAD BIGGER IDEAS.  Here is what I came up with.  I used several carts on this  Everyday Paper Dolls, Plantain Schoolbook, Hello Kitty Font, Life’s a Beach, and Locker Talk-- sorry I do not have all the measurement for this.  I printed the game cards on the computer.  This was fun for the kids and they used it all year.


Another thing I did d for the classroom was decorate the door for end of year testing.  They have a little competition each year to encourage the students.  Here is the door I did for her.  I used Plantin Schoolbook, Walk in my Garden and Create a Critter for the little inch worm.

   I inked the edges and curled the petals – I thought the colors were nice and bight.

Sorry this is a side veiw -  It is from my phone and i can't seem to turn it.

Sunday, August 19, 2012


Hey Scrapers,

I just wanted to share my layout using the papers in the CTMH Scholastic workshop on the go kit. (Our Sptember Neighborhood Club Kit)

I used the Art Philosophy for the chalkboard frame, Artiste for the card file cards and for the title, and , A Childs Year for the apple.  I was having a designer block with this paper pack, but it finally came together and looks great – better than I expected anyway.

I used the new chalkboard paper for the black board, and also used liquid glass on the apple.  I also used the cuttlebug and the woodgrain folder for the board frame.   In addition to the exclusive stamp set included in the Scholastic kit, I also used the Approved Stamp set.  I did scrap lift the card file and the stacked books from the CTMH Idea Book -- it is defiantly filed with great ideas!

Hope you enjoyed my old school layout!
God Bless and Happy Scrappin'!

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

What to do With a Can of Beans? (Lighthouse)

 This was going to be a “gag” birthday gift, to return a can of beans we have been passing back and forth.  My friend collects lighthouses so....I thought I would turn the can of beans into a lighthouse for her.  I set to work on developing a plan and experimenting.  Well, it turned out so darn cute! 
 I only used my Cricut for the fence rail.  I wielded 3 fences together in Design Studio for both levels.  The Fence is from Paper Doll Dress-Up and the three wiled together were cut 11.5 by .75.  I also used my Cuttlebug for the roof (Mosaic Texture folder) and a Fiskars wood grain-embossing card for the walls.  It was a little tricky putting the paper in the Cuttlebug to make the pattern cover the entire length of the paper.  I had to turn it and put it thru on the other end (I do not have the long boards for my Cuttlebug L ).  After I embossed them, I scored the walls at ¼-inch intervals so it would look like wood planks.  Some ribbon and a tooth pick for the flag, a circle punch, and a mini square punch for the windows.  I even pulled out some decretive scissor for the grass around the base (I hadn’t used those in a long while).  Of course I did some inking and glued everything together. 

The can of beans is the perfect weight for the base.  I put an individual serving size can in the middle level as well. 

 I made the top open so I could put in a flameless tea light – after all, a lighthouse does need to light-up.

The hardest part was getting the paper to fit snuggly around the cans at even intervals and figuring the score lines to make it the hexagon shape fit.  I have a ¼-inch flap on top and bottom of each level so I could fold it over and have a surface to glue the sections together with. 

It was also tricky figuring out where to place the red strip of paper so it would line –up just the way I wanted it.  After a little trial and a few errors, the desired result was achieved. 

I made a matching card and tag from the “Life’s a Beach” cart.  The card was cut at 4 ½ by 6 inches.  The tag was cut at 2 ½ inches.  I added a little backer’s twin and here you have it. 

I am very pleased with how it all turned out.  Maybe I won’t get the beans back this time -  J  Hope you all like it.